Mrs. Mary Idolia Shubrooks
Mrs. Shubrooks was born and raised in St, Mary’s County Maryland. She married the late James Shubrooks and they raised 6 children. She is a member of Zion United Methodist church and love God’s church very much. You can count on her support when it comes to the work of the Lord. Mrs. Shubrooks also took Lay Speakers training during the late 1980s. She also provided Sunday Morning Service message. Throughout her life, she has sponsored and supported church events. As an example, she sponsored numerous gospel concerts, beauty pageant for young people and children. Mrs. Shubrooks was the 2018 Homecoming Chairperson. In February 2019 during our Senior’s Recognition Sunday Mrs. Shubrooks was presented “You Made a Different” small token of appreciation. Her daughter Mrs. Shell Shubrooks Jackson accepted.
Mrs. Shubrooks worked for St. Mary’s County Department of Social Service Senior Citizen Department for 25 years. Over those 25 years she was not only a social worker aide but an advocate for the seniors. Even though, she was assigned to the Seniors Department she spent numerous hours helping others in the community. Mrs. Shubrooks was a beautician and had a construction license.
Mrs. Shubrooks has received may accolades and it is impossible to list them all.
Mrs. Shubrooks worked close with the County Commissions and elected State and Federal Government Officials. She helped people get FHA loans to build homes when it very difficult for African American to obtain a loan. Below is an example of some of the other services she has provided:
- Founder of the United States Color Troops Monument
- Started Meals on Wheel
- Started Office on Ages Senior Daycare
- Provided service to the community by working with Mrs. Hope Adams, Mrs. Grace Loffler and Mrs. Doris Greg
- Started/worked with Mike Bikes Turkey and meals Distribution at Zion UMC during Christmas
- Selected as a member of the Board of Directors for St. Mary’s County Commission on Women
- Selected as Woman of the Year for St, Mary’s County
"Celebrate all of Zion's Seniors"
The pictures do not represent all our Seniors